Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Storyboard Animatic Project of Learning pt. 15

           So, I learned a new lesson that I will more than likely forget over and over again.  Here's what happened.  I was working on this environment and had to draw these stairs in perspective.


Now this my not seem to complicated, you just keep moving the triangle around a lot. However here are the stairs in scale.
quite tiny actually.

So after the first part was done, I had to do more along the side, getting tinier and tinier, like so.


some could say that I am overdoing it,and they are probably right.

             This was over the course of 8 fucking hours.  I am not kidding.  They were constantly getting of perspective, I had an impossible time figuring out each point, etc. etc.   Pretty much spending more time re correcting everything and frustratingly wondering why nothing worked.
(insert chibi picture)

Then I looked at my pencil tip.
That is a rather dull tip for really tiny drawings.

              Also my sharpener is not that good so sharpening it doesn't help.  So I realized that a  really tiny point, like say a .3 mm mechanical pencil, would be incredibly helpful.  So I went out and bought one a few days ago,  along with a bunch of lead for it as well.  It has stopped working since then.  Also once I had the really fine point, I also used a better sharpener that I had at home, I still had to go back and redo all the work I had previously done.
That line really helped keep the stairs even looking.

             But the good new is that I was able to get the stairs on both sides done a lot quicker and in easily half the time.
times this by infinity and take it to the depth of forever and
 you will have but a glimpse of what I am talking about.

           So there are two lessons here.One is to always use the tools needed for the job at hand.  This saves you a bunch of time and frustration and stress.  The second is to use a sharp point for fucks sake!  Nothing would have worked better than if I had used a sharp point from the beginning.  That would have been the most useful thing possible.  The image isn't even fully done yet.  There are an insane amount of smudges on the drawing from using the triangle so much. So I still have to light board the whole thing.

 p.s.       On the subject of useful tools. While I was working in my room for a little while instead of a SCAD building one tool was really useful.
broken, but still just as useful.

          It's called a rolling ruler and it is awesome with find straight lines really quickly.  You just need to have some for the edge of the ruler and the paper to be flush against.  For me, that is a piece of cardboard glued to my drafting table.  Sadly I can't do that in the SCAD buildings so it is not something that I can always use.

No comments:

Post a Comment